Some studies show that tomatoes are rich in lycopene, vitamins, carotenes, folic acid and trace elements, which are high-quality but extremely inexpensive “anti-cancer masters”.
Tomato is one of the popular foods on the Vietnamese dining table. The way to consume them is also very rich, you can both cook it as a vegetable or eat it raw as a fruit, the taste and nutritional value are very good. Some studies show that tomatoes are rich in lycopene, vitamins, carotenes, folic acid and trace elements, which are high-quality but extremely inexpensive “anti-cancer masters”.
1. Lycopene in tomatoes helps fight cancer and protects blood vessels.
Tomatoes contain lycopene, which has a very good antioxidant effect, and lycopene has the effect of preventing heart disease and arteriosclerosis. It can also eliminate free radicals that cause aging and other chronic diseases. At the same time, it can prevent and support the treatment of prostate cancer, gastrointestinal cancer, breast cancer, endometrial cancer, etc.
2. Vitamin C prevents digestive system tumors.
Vitamin C has antioxidant and anti-cancer effects, preventing nitrates from turning into nitrosamines that cause cancers in the digestive tract such as esophageal cancer and stomach cancer. A study by Zhejiang University (China) showed that a reasonable vitamin C supplement can help prevent stomach cancer. Each 100g of tomatoes contains 19mg of vitamin C, 5 times more than apples and pears.
3. Carotene from tomatoes prevents oral cancer..
Tomatoes are rich in carotenes. An epidemiological survey published in the International Journal of Stomatology suggests that from experimental results in animals and preliminary clinical trials, carotene has the potential to prevent oral cancer.
4. Vitamin B6 of tomatoes has the effect of preventing bladder cancer.
Tomatoes are one of the best sources of vitamin B6. Studies have shown that vitamin B6 can inhibit the formation of cancer cells to a certain extent, help synthesize a number of important enzymes in the human body, and then regulate metabolism. matter.
In addition to the above nutrients, tomatoes also contain lutein, which protects the eyes, prevents age-related macular degeneration, and is suitable for office workers who often use computers.
* What kind of tomato is the best anti-cancer tomato?
Although tomatoes contain many cancer-fighting nutrients, the most important one is lycopene. Here are 3 ways to help you choose the tomatoes with the highest amount of lycopene.
1. Red is better than yellow.
Lycopene content in yellow tomatoes is very small, only 0.3mg per 100g; Meanwhile, lycopene content in red tomatoes is higher, usually 2 to 3mg per 100g, the highest can be up to 20mg, and has better anti-cancer effect.
2. The older the tomatoes, the better.
The older the tomato, the higher the lycopene content, which means that the redder the tomato, the more likely it is to fight cancer.
3. Tomatoes harvested in the summer.
Lycopene content in tomatoes harvested in the summer is relatively high, this is mainly because the sun in the summer will greatly increase the lycopene content.
* Important note when eating tomatoes to avoid toxicity.
– Dark tomatoes should not be eaten because this dark spot is mainly caused by the fungus Alternaria spp. The toxin it produces is called Alternaria. This toxin has the potential to cause cancer.
– Green tomatoes cannot be eaten raw, they contain solanin, which can cause nausea, vomiting, and even death.
* How well eating tomatoes works depends on how you eat them.
1. Eating raw tomatoes is the easiest way to absorb the highest lycopene.
2. Lycopene has the highest content near the tomato skin, so it is best to eat the whole skin.
3. Do not boil tomatoes for too long, if left for more than 30 minutes, the lycopene will be destroyed.